Hands-On Pump Training
October 13-14, 2020
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Both Days
R.F. MacDonald Co.
10261 Matern Place
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
$1,500 – Includes continental breakfast and lunch both days and training materials. Pay with credit card or company PO.
This two-day course is designed for Maintenance and Operator Personnel who are responsible for repairing and troubleshooting centrifugal pumps and mechanical seals. It is also sutiable for engineers who want hands-on experience. CWEA and AFE Certified.
• Expanded version of our Basic Pump & Mechanical Seal Training.
• More one on one attention and opportunity to experience and learn.
• Complete disassemble and reassemble an ANSI Process Pump.
• Identify proper settings of mechanical seals, bearings, impellers, shafts, sleeves.
• Identify mechanical seal failure and conduct a root cause analysis.
• Experience the maintenance pros and cons of cartridge versus component seals.
• Disassemble a used cartridge seal and inspect for damage and wear.
• Discuss different stuffing box designs and their advantages / disadvantages.
• Discuss packing, style, benefits and installation tips.
• Analyze impeller and casing wear patterns and provide likely causes.
• Troubleshoot causes of premature bearing failure.
• Identify different bearing wear patterns and their root cause.
• Learn the importance of proper lubrication types and amounts.
• Know the differences and benefits of labyrinth, magnetic and lip seal designs.
• Learn precision checks for run out of stuffing box and impeller, bearing fits, shaft run outs and concentricity.
• Shaft straightening techniques.
• Learn the do’s and don’t of dial indicators and the advantage of laser alignment.
• Review proper pump installation and start-up techniques.
• Demonstrate an actual base plate install with proper mounting and leveling.
• Learn cost saving repair techniques and predictive maintenance.
Classes are held in a shop environment. Please wear closed-toes shoes or work boots and pants. Safety glasses and gloves will be provided.
Total time for the course is (16) hours. There will be a (1) hour overview on the basic components of a centrifugal pump and its function. The course is conducted in a classroom / shop environment. There will be (10) pump stations with (2) students assigned to each station for maximum hands-on learning. Class will therefore be limited to no more than (20) students.
Attendees will be given a completion certificate approved by the AFE and CWEA, giving you continuing education units (CEUs) toward recertification.
Requires: (5) CEU credits every (3) years
Employment Credits: 1 year = 1 credit
Academic Credits: 10 hours = 1 credit
Earned for 2-Day Hands-On Class: 16hrs = 1.6 credits
• Certified Professional Maint. Manager (CPMM)
• Certified Professional Supervisor (CPS)
• Certified Plant Engineer (CPE)
Requires: (12) contact hours every (2) years
Employment Credits: None offered
Academic Credits: 50 minutes = 1 contact hour
Earned for 2-Day Hands-On Class: 16 contact hours
• Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
• Drinking Water Treatment Operator
• Distribution Operator